Put these rainforest words in alphabetical order.
Use https://dictionary.cambridge.org/ to help you.
Why not create a canopy to read under this week?
You could use bed sheets, pillows, paper or even go under the table like the picture below.
Watch the opening up until 45 secs, up until we see the Alchemist's letter.
- What have we learned up until now?
- What do Alchemist's do? (use a dictionary or online dictionary to find out)
- Why does the film maker include this section before the title?
- What is the film going to be about?
Pause the film after 54 secs when the man looks at the key and sighs.
- When is the story set? How do you know?
- How is the man feeling?
Pause the film after the phrase, 'The more powerful the machine.'
- What relationship between the narrator and the man can we see?
- What is the man's name?
- What has his father left behind?
- Where is his father?
- What do you think he has left behind?
- Do you think Veridion has seen his father recently?
Pause the film at 1 min 35 secs, where we see two people sitting by the waterfall.
- What are your most precious memories?
- What do you think the narrator's most precious memories could be?
- What does the word 'precious' mean?
Pause the film at 2 mins 15 secs, after the phrase 'She died alone.'
- What are the narrator's most precious memories?
- Why do you think this is?
- Why do you think Veridion's mother died alone?
Pause the film at 2 mins 43 secs, when the young Veridion throws way the pocket watch.(It may need more than one watch).
- What does the narrator mean when he says, "because of the creature I was becoming?" We see a visual metaphor of the minotaur. Does the author actually mean he was physically changing?
- Who is sat under the tress with the pink leaves?
- What do you think he is thinking before he throws the watch?
- Why does he throw the watch away?
Pause the film after the phrase, 'Just as I abandoned you.' 3 mins
- Why was Veridion abandoned?
- Why might his father think Veridion will abandon his daughter?
Pause the film after the word, 'Nicholas', 3 mins 22 secs
- What is the narrator's name?
- What things matter the most?
- What is the thing that matters the most?
- What is interesting about the way the last section of the letter is written? “Now I understand what matters the most. Love. Your father Nicholas” or “Now I understand what matters the most. Love your father, Nicholas.”
Pause the film at 3 mins 30 secs when the machine explodes.
- What has created the gold watch?
- Why do you think machine has exploded?
- Do you think Nicholas ever succeeded in creating gold?
Pause the film at 3min 45 secs when Veridion is looking at the watch.
- What do you think he is thinking now?
- What do you think will happen next?
- What has happened to the machine? Why?
At the end of the film
- Why doesn’t Veridion take any of the coins with him?
- Does he take anything with him?
- Why has the laughter been included in the closing credits? What does it show?
For example 1/2 = 2/4, 4/6 = 2/3.
What else can you find?
The rainforest is full of unusual and interesting plants. Use the power points below and the video to find out more about them.
- choose a plant and create a poster showing how it's adapted to its environment
- design a plant that is found in an extreme habitat, explain how it's adapted to its environment